Sunday, February 1, 2009

One day a peacock

The can of worms he has opened up is just the kind he likes.

This government has lost the capacity to govern because a shadow government has taken over. The narco-mafia state is now completely consolidated.

If they adopt the Bush administration position, or some version of it, it is going to be a moment of profound disappointment for everyone in the legal community and Americans generally who believe that the Bush administration has tried to turn the presidency into a monarchy.

I read that e-mail, and I thought, He did it.

It’s a toxic combination right now. Mexicans north of the border are facing joblessness and persecution, but in their own country the government can’t provide basic security for many of its citizens.

My generation of Catholics have paid, prayed and obeyed, but you get to a point where you’ve had it.

There is no safe haven.

Israel’s MacArthur is back.

Our clients, all they want is sustenance.

The pressure is mounting on Egypt. How come you keep the Israeli ambassador here? How come you keep the Egyptian ambassador in Israel? How come you still export gas to Israel in spite of a court order to stop? The system is on the defensive.

I think the days of the gasoline engine are numbered, even if we don’t know exactly what that number is.

We had thought these patients just heal up. But now so many of these reports from different universities say they are not really O.K.

I don’t see how I can get back home in Texas and look in the mirror and be proud of what I see, if I allowed the loud voices, the loud critics to prevent me from doing what I thought was necessary to protect this country.

My parents told me to keep coming to school even if I am killed. The people who did this to me don’t want women to be educated. They want us to be stupid things.

If re-engaging with foreign oil companies is necessary to his political survival, then Chávez will do it. He is a military man who understands losing a battle to win the war.

I landed in the Hudson.

My daughter said, ‘Daddy, the plane turned into a boat.’

You need subjects, and they’re hard to get.

Some are past the age limit, and they come in and say, ‘Will the military take me now?’ They are having trouble finding well-paying jobs.

I’m not going to make a long speech. I’ve got to save my best lines for tomorrow.

Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America.

For a long time now there’s been too much secrecy in this city.

A broken string was not an option. It was wicked cold.

The Chinese are probably one of the few people in the world who were sorry to see President Bush go, and are nervous about his successor.

If you spent six or seven years and hundreds of thousands of dollars getting a graduate degree and you end up doing this, that is not a happy thought. But it is steady work.

It might not be realistic, but a person who has been bitten by a snake is afraid every time he sees a rope.

They’re telling you how to live and what to do, and they’re doing it right here in America.

It used to be an elite few. Now anyone can make a book and it looks just like a book that you buy at the bookstore.

I’m already so jazzed. It’s the greatest new toy I’ve ever had.

I did a lot of things that were mostly right.

You want to know my philosophy? One day a peacock. The next day a feather duster.




[New York Times "Quote of the Day," 1-31 January 2009]

1 comment:

michael said...

Stumbled here looking for someone who could help me know the conjugation of “we” heuriskein (instead of “i” as in eureka.

I like this poem.